Lukas' home for now...

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Our ITINERARY for our trip!!

It really is official! We are going to China!


May 13, 2008: Fly St. Louis to Chicago, Chicago to Beijing.

May 14, 2008: Arrive in Beijing at 3pm, picked up at airport by travel guide

May 15, 2008: Visit Tian'amen Square, the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Chinese Acrobats Show

May 16, 2008: Visit the Great Wall, Ming's Tomb, The Sacred Road

May 17, 2008: Visit Summer Palace and then leave for Xi'an, Sha'anxi at 5:40pm

May 18, 2008: GOTCHA DAY!!! We will meet Lukas and hold him for the first time!!!

May 19, 2008: Finalize the adoption and make it legal!!

May 20-23, 2008: Tour the orphanage and the city where Lukas is from.

May 24, 2008: Fly from Xi'an to Guangzhou.

May 25, 2008: Shop and tour!

May 26, 2008: AGAIN! Shop and tour!

May 27, 2008: Visa appointment with U.S. Consulate.

May 29, 2008: Travel by train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong, spend the night

May 30, 2008: Fly from Hong Kong to Chicago (flight# 0896, arriving 2;20pm)
and Chicago to St. Louis (flight #5387, arriving 6:11pm)

We are traveling with United Airlines.

It has been a real challenge to get all these plans made, but we did it and now I must move on to the packing. I have one suitcase opened with everything packed inside, but then at some point, I just started tossing other things on top of the packed things and now Mari is quite worried that it won't all fit. This morning she told me that I just MAY need 2 more suitcases!! How right she may be!

I am now at the point where I start widdling down and removing things that I THOUGHT were a necessity! Those suitcases are heavy!! And since Don will officially be the "pack mule" I am trying to make it a bit easier on him. I am not lots of help with my shoulder and am resting it up as much as I can so I will be able to carry Lukas around.

We got an update on him as of May 4. He is 25.5 pounds and LOVES to be held!!! They also say he has 14 teeth, but I can't imagine a 16 month old having that many teeth!! Guess I will have to watch my fingers at feeding time!! Anyway, no bottle--just a sippy, but he does drink formula. I am kinda hoping that he will take a bottle again since it is such a great way to bond. I think I will pack a bottle or two just in case.


5 days from now, we will be jetting our way across the ocean! Mari is so excited to meet her brother and "in theory" she thinks it's great!!! It may be an entirely different story once she realizes he is sticking around!!!

We are so excited and frantic all in one! We will be posting as often as possible.

Mariella's pre-K class is going to be following along on our journey and incorporating it into their day!

Also, Laura (oldest daughter and caretaker of Mari while we are gone) will be sharing with her 4th grade students!

Ok, now back to packing! ;)

Vicki

2 comments:

Mel, Pete and Clara said...

oh boy do I know what you're going through! It's a crazy time! Glad you have your tickets and itinerary, such a good feeling to have that done isn't it?!

Good luck sleeping the next few days before you leave! Can't wait to read along with your trip.

Best, Mel C.

Charlotte said...

LOL, they all can't wait to meet their new sibling til it comes time to share the toys !

Raeghan asked me the other day if we could send Rachael back, lol !

Charlotte and crew